Barrow Man Fights Police & Door Staff Outside Pub

tipsy shamrock barrow arms

Barrow Man Assaulted Door Staff and Police Outside Tipsy Shamrock

A Barrow man has been sentenced after assaulting door staff and police officers outside The Tipsy Shamrock, (Barrow Arms).

Pedro Bossio, 49, was involved in the incident outside the Cavendish Street pub on March 14, 2023. He had been removed from the premises before becoming aggressive and trying to get back inside.

The case was heard at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court, where prosecutor Peter Kelly set out how the situation escalated from a disturbance outside the pub into assaults on door staff and emergency workers.

Bossio later pleaded guilty to common assault, including two counts of assault by beating of emergency workers.

Removed From the Pub

The court heard that Bossio was first removed from The Tipsy Shamrock by door staff.

At first, he appeared calm. But the situation changed when he tried to re-enter the venue. He became aggressive and started swinging punches at a member of the door staff.

During the altercation, Bossio fell and injured his face. He was bleeding by the time police arrived at the scene.

Police Officer Witnessed the Incident

Police Constable Kenny was in the area and saw Bossio being ejected from the pub.

The officer saw him trying to throw punches and then running back towards the door. PC Kenny called for support as Bossio’s behaviour became more difficult to control.

Bossio then directed his aggression towards the officer and struck him on the cheek.

The incident shows the kind of situation police can face when responding to disorder outside licensed premises, especially when alcohol and aggression are involved.

Struggle With Officers

Another officer, PC Mulholland, also became involved.

The court heard that Bossio was spitting because of the blood on his face. A struggle followed as officers tried to deal with him.

Bossio continued to make threatening remarks during the incident. His behaviour created a difficult and unsafe situation for both police and door staff.

Assaults on emergency workers are treated seriously because officers are carrying out their duty to protect the public. Door staff are also in a vulnerable position when dealing with people who refuse to leave a venue.

Guilty Pleas Entered

Bossio appeared at court on May 18 and admitted the offences.

He pleaded guilty to common assault and two assaults involving emergency workers.

His defence advocate, Trystan Roberts, told the court that Bossio was remorseful. He said Bossio accepted he had behaved aggressively after being asked to leave the pub.

The court also heard that Bossio suffered serious injuries during the incident, including a broken nose. He was taken to hospital for treatment.

Sentence Given by Magistrates

Magistrates sentenced Bossio to a 12-month community order.

As part of that order, he must complete 160 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay £85 in court costs and a £114 victim surcharge.

The sentence reflects the seriousness of the offences while also taking into account his guilty pleas and personal circumstances.

A Reminder of the Risks Faced by Night-Time Staff

The case highlights the risks faced by door staff and police officers working in Barrow’s night-time economy.

Most people enjoy nights out without trouble. But when aggression develops outside pubs and bars, staff and officers can quickly find themselves in dangerous situations.

Door staff are there to keep venues safe. Police officers attend to prevent further disorder and protect the public. Assaulting either can lead to arrest, prosecution and a criminal record.

For Bossio, what began as a night out ended with court action, unpaid work and financial penalties. The case is a reminder that aggressive behaviour towards staff and emergency workers can have serious consequences.

Most Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *