Barrow Man Gets 15-Month Sentence for Domestic Assault
A Barrow man has been jailed for 15 months after strangling his former partner during an assault earlier this year.
Damien Starkie, 42, of Ainslie Street, Barrow, was sentenced at Preston Crown Court on June 9.
He had admitted intentional strangulation, assault by beating and criminal damage.
The court heard the offences happened in the early hours of January 24.
A five-year restraining order was also imposed.
Victim Pulled Back by Coat
The assault began as the victim was walking downstairs at a property.
The court heard Starkie pulled her back by her coat before pushing her up the stairs, causing her to fall to the floor.
He then jolted her back and forth while shouting threats at her.
Ms Walker told the court Starkie would not let the victim leave.
He then grabbed her by the neck and held her down for a few seconds.
Criminal Damage Also Admitted
The court heard Starkie also removed a staircase spindle from a wooden banister during the incident.
He later admitted criminal damage, along with intentional strangulation and assault by beating.
The prosecution said the offences were committed while Starkie was subject to three separate community orders.
Previous Convictions Considered
Recorder Emma Fisher said Starkie’s previous offending record was a serious aggravating factor.
The court heard he had 32 previous convictions for 56 offences.
His breaches of community orders were also considered when sentence was passed.
Recorder Fisher jailed Starkie for 15 months and imposed a five-year restraining order.
After passing sentence, she said she hoped Starkie could get back to where he had been before his recent offending.
Domestic Abuse Support
Anyone affected by domestic abuse can contact Victim Support, Women’s Aid, the National Domestic Abuse Helpline or local support services.
In an emergency, always call 999.