Cumbria Man Sentenced for Breaching Restraining Order

Carlisle magistrates crown Court

Man jailed after breaching restraining order and committing series of thefts

A man who went to his former partner’s home despite being banned from contacting her has been jailed.

Luke Donaldson-Wells, 33, appeared remotely at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court from HMP Durham.

He admitted breaching a restraining order, harassment, ten theft offences and one attempted theft.

Former partner said she felt scared

The court heard Donaldson-Wells and the complainant had a child during their two-and-a-half-year relationship.

He had not seen the child since they were a baby.

Donaldson-Wells was made subject to a two-year restraining order at Carlisle Magistrates’ Court in July 2024. However, he went to the woman’s home in Millom on May 18.

She had been expecting his parents to visit their grandchild. Instead, she opened the door at around 10am and found Donaldson-Wells there.

Prosecutor Peter Kelly said he remained outside for about 30 minutes, knocking on the door and shouting.

The woman later told police that he was unpredictable and that she feared his behaviour could escalate.

Thefts from Tesco stores

Donaldson-Wells was also prosecuted over a series of thefts from Tesco stores in Kendal and Millom.

The offences happened between March 13 and May 15, 2026.

The stolen items were mainly low-value alcohol and food. The court heard that most were recovered.

Defence asked for suspended sentence

Defence solicitor David Mannering said Donaldson-Wells believed the restraining order had ended.

He said it was the first time the order had been breached and argued that the offences were not intended to cause harm.

The court was also told that Donaldson-Wells had serious mental health difficulties and had spent five weeks on remand.

His solicitor asked magistrates to impose a suspended sentence.

Jailed for 20 weeks

Magistrates rejected that request and jailed Donaldson-Wells, of no fixed address, for 20 weeks.

They also imposed a new two-year restraining order.

He was ordered to pay a £154 victim surcharge.

Most Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *