Hawkshead woman fined after driving at more than twice the legal alcohol limit after funeral
A Hawkshead woman has been fined and banned from driving after crashing her car following a funeral.
Isabelle Walton, of Vicarage Lane, appeared before South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court after admitting drink-driving.
The court heard that police were called to a road traffic collision on an unclassified road between Newby Bridge and Lakeside on May 11.
Walton, 22, had been driving a Fiat 500 and was the only person inside the vehicle.
Breath test showed 75 micrograms
Prosecutor Peter Kelly said Walton was asked to provide a specimen at around 4.30pm.
She gave a positive roadside breath test and was arrested.
Walton was then taken to a police station, where she provided two further samples. The lower reading showed 75 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.
The legal limit is 35 micrograms.
The court was told Walton had no previous convictions.
Court hears she had attended a funeral
Defence solicitor Michael Graham said Walton had attended a funeral earlier that day and was not in the right frame of mind.
He told the court she had made the wrong decision to drive.
Walton had held her licence for three and a half years and had no penalty points. The court also heard that she was employed and would not lose her job as a result of the conviction.
Magistrates fined Walton £253 and banned her from driving for 20 months.
She was also ordered to pay £85 in court costs and a £101 victim surcharge.