Kendal Calling Phone Thefts Rise as Police Presence Falls
An organised crime group targeting music festivals was linked to a surge in stolen phones at Kendal Calling last year.
The thefts came as fewer police officers were working inside the festival site during the 2025 event.
Cumbria’s Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner David Allen has now questioned whether organisers should pay for a stronger police presence this year.
Organised Group Targeted Festival Crowds
Police recorded a sharp rise in “theft from the person” offences during August 2025.
Further checks found that several reports involved mobile phones stolen from people attending Kendal Calling.
Cumbria Police and the festival’s organisers said an organised criminal group had targeted events across the country.
They added that the number of thefts at Kendal Calling was still low compared with the size of the festival.
However, the incidents helped push countywide theft-from-person offences up by 21.6 per cent.
There were 152 reports during 2025/26, compared with 125 the year before.
Fewer Officers and Fewer Searches
Police and Crime Commissioner David Allen asked why fewer police officers had been deployed at the festival.
Chief Constable Darren Martland said the reduction was linked to funding changes.
He also confirmed that officers had not carried out searches in the same way as in previous years.
Mr Martland said it was unclear whether the lower police presence directly caused the increase in thefts.
Several incidents were only reported after festival visitors had left the site.
Commissioner Calls for Organisers to Pay for More Police
Mr Allen said organisers should pay for an adequate police presence inside the venue.
He also suggested licensing conditions may need to be reviewed if suitable security arrangements cannot be agreed.
He said: “They have a responsibility for the health and safety of people attending their festival.”
Kendal Calling used more private security during the 2025 event, with plans approved by the local Safety Advisory Group.
Police and organisers said they would continue working together ahead of this year’s festival.
Kendal Calling 2026 begins at Lowther Deer Park on July 30 and has sold out.