Kendal Man Jailed for Violent Attack in Bowness

Carlisle magistrates crown Court

Kendal man jailed after Bowness attack left victim with brain injury

A Kendal man has been jailed for 40 months after a late-night attack in Bowness-on-Windermere left a young man with a brain injury.

Kevin Newton, 23, dragged the victim away from his friends before punching him and kicking him in the head.

Newton, of Sedbergh Road, Kendal, had pulled a dark hoodie over part of his face before the attack.

He admitted intentionally wounding the victim during the incident on February 1 last year.

Newton was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court.

Victim was heading for the last bus

The court heard that the victim had been in Bowness to celebrate a friend’s birthday.

At around 10.10pm, the group left Boaters Bar and began walking towards a bus stop. They planned to catch the last bus home.

Newton then approached the group with his hoodie pulled over his face and nose.

Some witnesses still recognised him from his eyes or voice.

Prosecutor Tim Evans said Newton grabbed the victim from behind and placed him in a choke hold.

He then dragged the man across the road and away from his friends.

Newton punched him several times in the head. Bystanders tried to pull him away but were unable to stop the attack.

Forceful kick to the head

The victim fell or was falling to the ground when Newton delivered a forceful kick to his head.

One witness described hearing a crunching sound when the kick landed.

Friends said the victim appeared to be unconscious.

Judge Nicholas Barker said kicking someone in the head was a very dangerous act.

He told Newton that courts had dealt with many similar attacks which had caused serious injury or death.

The judge said the victim suffered a brain injury because of Newton’s violence.

Victim needed hospital treatment

The attack caused several bruises to the victim’s brain.

He needed specialist care at Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

In a statement, the victim said he could not drive for six months due to his injury.

He also missed his grandmother’s funeral because he was still in hospital receiving treatment.

Defence said Newton was remorseful

Andrew Evans, defending, said Newton had travelled to Bowness after his partner became upset during a night out.

It was claimed there had been “aggravation” involving the victim and Newton’s girlfriend.

The defence said Newton first planned to collect his partner rather than attack anyone.

However, Judge Barker did not accept that Newton had travelled to Bowness only to pick her up.

He said Newton had been in an angry and agitated state when he set off from Kendal.

The court heard that Newton had since shown genuine regret and wanted to apologise to the victim.

References described him as trusted and responsible at work.

Previous violent offence raised in court

Judge Barker also considered Newton’s previous violent offending.

The earlier case dated from 2021, when Newton was 17.

The judge said that offence involved Newton jumping on another person’s head and then kicking it.

The victim in that attack did not suffer a serious injury.

Judge Barker said Newton’s past offence was an important factor when deciding the sentence.

Although he accepted that the latest attack did not involve a large amount of planning, he said only an immediate prison term was suitable.

Newton was jailed for three years and four months.

Most Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *