Kendal Torchlight Cancelled for 2026 as Organisers Plan for Future Return
Kendal Torchlight will not take place in 2026. After organisers confirmed they have made the “difficult but responsible” decision to postpone this year’s event.
The much-loved autumn event, which has been part of Kendal’s community calendar since 1970, has been cancelled. Following rising operational costs and reduced confirmed funding. Organisers described the decision as a “pause with purpose” and said they now want to use the year to rebuild and plan for the event’s future.
The team behind Kendal Torchlight said the aim is for the event to return in 2027. Stronger and more sustainable. They are also inviting volunteers, businesses, artists, community groups and supporters to help shape what comes next.
Why Has Kendal Torchlight Been Cancelled?
Organisers said the decision was made after careful thought.
The main reasons given were:
- Rising operational costs
- Reduced confirmed funding
- The need to protect the event’s long-term future
- The need to deliver a safe and vibrant event for the community
Rather than pushing ahead with an event that may not meet the standard expected, organisers said postponing it was the right decision.
A ‘Pause With Purpose’
The cancellation is not being described as the end of Kendal Torchlight.
Organisers said it is a “pause with purpose”. Giving the team time to reset, rebuild and reimagine the event.
They said the year will be used to work with the wider community, partners and supporters. The goal is to create a more sustainable plan so the event can return in 2027.
Event Has Run Since 1970
Kendal Torchlight has been bringing people together since 1970.
Over the years, the procession has become one of Kendal’s best known community events. It is run by a small group of volunteers and has traditionally brought performers, families, schools, artists and businesses into the town centre.
The event is known for its community feel, creative displays and evening procession.
Funding Pressures Have Been Building
The 2026 cancellation follows previous fundraising concerns.
Last year, organisers appealed for funds ahead of the event’s 55th anniversary. At the time, they said they needed to meet a fundraising target of £10,000 by July 31.
The latest announcement shows that funding remains a major challenge for large volunteer-led events.
Costs can include safety measures, road closures, insurance, equipment, stewarding, entertainment, logistics and public facilities.
Organisers Ask Community to Help Shape the Future
Although this year’s event will not go ahead, organisers are asking people to get involved.
They want to hear from:
- Volunteers
- Local businesses
- Community groups
- Artists
- Supporters
- Partners who can help with funding or planning
The team said Kendal Torchlight has always belonged to the people of Kendal, and community support will be important if the event is to return.
What Happens Next?
The next step will be for organisers to use 2026 to develop a stronger plan for the future.
This could include looking at how the event is funded, how it is delivered, and how more people and organisations can support it.
Organisers have pledged that Kendal Torchlight will return, saying the event will “shine brighter than ever” with the right support.