Penrith Man with BB Gun Threatens to Burn Kebab Shop

penrith store mykebab

Man Jailed After Threatening to Burn Down Kebab Shop While Armed With BB Gun

A man has been jailed after threatening to burn down a kebab shop while armed with a BB gun.

Blake Stuart, 32, of Stricklandgate, was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court after admitting offences linked to an incident at MyKebab in Middlegate.

The court heard Stuart returned to the shop on April 12 after drinking for more than 12 hours.

He threatened the business and told staff to drop an earlier complaint against him.

Stuart was jailed for 22 months. He was also banned for three years from visiting the kebab shop, loitering outside it, or contacting staff.

Earlier Complaint Made in January

The case began after an incident in January when Stuart’s card was declined at MyKebab.

He was reported to Cumbria Police after allegedly using a racial slur against a member of staff.

Stuart was arrested and later bailed with a condition not to return to the shop.

However, the court heard he went back in April after drinking from around 7am.

Police were called at about 8.30pm after reports that a man had threatened a shop worker and produced what appeared to be a firearm.

CCTV Showed Gun-Like Object

Prosecutor Tim Evans told the court Stuart was identified from CCTV footage.

The footage showed him reaching into his gilet pocket and pulling out what appeared to be a gun.

The court heard Stuart told staff that the earlier complaint should be dropped.

He also threatened that the premises would be burned down if this did not happen.

After his arrest, police searched Stuart’s home and found a black BB gun. Officers also found a black gilet matching the clothing seen on the CCTV footage.

Victim Left Shaken by Incident

The shop worker said in an impact statement that the incident left him frightened and distressed.

He said his hands and feet were trembling and that he did not know what to do.

The court heard the worker was left unable to sleep and had to take two weeks off work to recover.

Stuart initially accepted going to the shop and asking for the complaint to be dropped, but denied having a firearm or making threats.

He later admitted possessing an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, attempted intimidation and threatening to destroy or damage property.

Defence Said Stuart Realised Seriousness

Defence barrister John Crawford said Stuart understood how serious and foolish his actions had been.

He said Stuart’s previous offending had not been as serious and described the incident as out of character compared with his past behaviour.

However, Judge Michael Fanning said people are frightened when weapons are mentioned and even more frightened when they are produced.

The judge said society could not allow people to wave guns in people’s faces and threaten serious harm.

Stuart was jailed for 22 months and made subject to a three-year restraining order banning him from contacting staff or going near the shop.

Most Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *