Company Fined £60,000 for Worker Fatality in Barrow

Warrington Magistrates’ Court entrance

South Cumbrian Firm Fined £60,000 After Worker’s Death at Barrow Waste Site

A South Cumbrian company has been fined £60,000 after a worker died at a waste and recycling facility in Barrow.

Stuart Garnett, 44, was working at H Wicks (Lindal) Limited when he was struck by a reversing telehandler on May 12, 2022.

The incident happened at the company’s waste and recycling facility in Barrow. Mr Garnett later died from his injuries.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that the company had failed to organise the site safely so that pedestrians and vehicles could move around without unacceptable risk.

Worker Struck by Reversing Telehandler

The court heard that Mr Garnett was struck by a reversing telehandler while working at the site.

Telehandlers are large vehicles often used to lift and move heavy materials. In busy waste and recycling environments, they can create serious risks if vehicles and workers are not kept safely apart.

The Health and Safety Executive said the company had failed to ensure the site was arranged so that pedestrians and vehicles could circulate safely.

This kind of separation is a key part of workplace safety in yards, depots, recycling centres and industrial sites.

Company Admitted Health and Safety Breach

H Wicks (Lindal) Limited, of Scarth Road, Sowerby Woods Business Park, Barrow, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.

That part of the law requires employers to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of employees at work.

The company was sentenced at Warrington Magistrates’ Court.

It was fined £60,000 and ordered to pay £6,624.75 in costs. A statutory surcharge of £2,000 was also imposed.

HSE Says Death Was Avoidable

HSE principal inspector Caroline Shorrock said Mr Garnett’s death was an avoidable tragedy.

She said workplace accidents involving vehicles and pedestrians happen every year, with many of them causing serious or fatal injuries.

She said the fatal injury would not have occurred if suitable separation measures had been put in place.

The HSE also said the fine should act as a clear warning to the waste and recycling industry that companies will be held to account if they fail to keep workers safe.

Why Vehicle Separation Matters

Workplace transport can be one of the biggest risks on industrial and recycling sites.

Large vehicles can have blind spots. They may also reverse, turn or move around busy areas where workers are on foot.

In sites where people and vehicles operate close together, employers are expected to manage the risks carefully.

Safety measures can include:

  • separate pedestrian walkways
  • marked crossing points
  • physical barriers
  • one-way vehicle systems
  • reversing alarms and cameras
  • clear signs and speed limits
  • trained banksmen where needed
  • proper supervision
  • safe site layouts
  • clear rules for workers and drivers

These measures are designed to reduce the chance of workers being hit by moving vehicles.

Waste and Recycling Sites Carry Extra Risks

Waste and recycling facilities can be especially hazardous.

They often involve heavy machinery, large vehicles, uneven surfaces, noise, moving materials and changing work areas. Workers may be sorting, loading, tipping, walking between areas or operating equipment.

Because of this, clear site management is vital.

Pedestrians should not be placed in the same spaces as moving vehicles unless there are strong controls in place.

The HSE’s investigation found that this had not been managed safely at the Barrow site.

A Serious Reminder for Employers

The case is a reminder that health and safety rules are not just paperwork.

They are there to prevent deaths and serious injuries.

Employers have a legal duty to assess risks and put practical safety measures in place. This is especially important where workers are near vehicles or machinery.

When those risks are not properly controlled, the consequences can be devastating for workers, families and colleagues.

Lasting Impact of the Incident

Mr Garnett’s death has had a lasting impact on those who knew him.

The court case has now concluded, but the incident remains a serious reminder of the risks faced by workers in industrial settings.

For businesses across Cumbria, especially those working in waste, recycling, construction, haulage and manufacturing, the message is clear.

Sites must be organised so that workers on foot are kept safe from moving vehicles.

The £60,000 fine reflects the seriousness of the company’s health and safety failings and the tragic outcome of the incident.

Most Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *