3 Cumbrian protesters arrested under terrorism laws at Palestine Action demonstrations
Three people from Cumbria have been arrested under terrorism legislation after taking part in protests supporting the banned campaign group Palestine Action in London.
Mark Arrowsmith, 63, a teacher from Kendal, was arrested outside Woolwich Crown Court on Friday, June 12.
Catherine Rennie-Nash, 75, a retired teacher from Kendal, and Clare Rodger, 21, from Cockermouth, were arrested during a separate demonstration outside the Royal Courts of Justice on Monday, June 15.
All three were reportedly arrested on suspicion of an offence under Section 13 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
Their placards carried the words: “Saving lives is not terrorism. I support Palestine Action.”
The arrests do not mean the three protesters have been convicted of an offence. No information confirming charges or court dates has been released.
More than 100 arrested outside courts
The Cumbrian protesters were among more than 100 people arrested during demonstrations held outside London courts over several days.
The Metropolitan Police said 117 people were arrested outside the Royal Courts of Justice on June 15 on suspicion of expressing support for a proscribed organisation.
Two further arrests were made by City of London Police during a demonstration outside the Old Bailey.
Police said expressing support for Palestine Action remains a criminal offence following a Court of Appeal ruling delivered earlier that day.
The demonstrations followed the sentencing of four Palestine Action activists at Woolwich Crown Court on June 12.
Those activists had been convicted over a 2024 break-in at a factory operated by Israeli defence company Elbit Systems near Bristol. The incident caused more than £1 million in damage, while one of the defendants was also convicted of seriously injuring a police officer.
What does Section 13 cover?
Section 13 of the Terrorism Act applies when someone wears clothing, displays an item or carries an article in circumstances that create reasonable suspicion that they support or belong to a proscribed organisation.
Palestine Action has been classed as a proscribed terrorist organisation in the UK since July 5, 2025.
This means that membership of the group and certain public expressions of support can be treated as criminal offences.
Police and the Government have stressed that people remain legally able to protest in support of Palestine or criticise the actions of the Israeli government.
However, public support for Palestine Action itself may result in arrest because of its status as a banned organisation.
Court of Appeal upholds ban
The latest protests took place as the Court of Appeal ruled that the Government had acted lawfully when it proscribed Palestine Action.
An earlier High Court ruling had found that the ban unlawfully interfered with freedom of expression. However, the organisation remained proscribed while the Government appealed that decision.
On June 15, five senior judges overturned the earlier ruling and decided that the ban was proportionate.
The judges said Palestine Action was not simply an open civil-disobedience campaign and had promoted unlawful violence involving damage to property and injury.
Palestine Action co-founder Huda Ammori said she intended to challenge the ruling at the Supreme Court.
The decision has divided opinion. Government ministers and police argue that the ban is needed because of the group’s tactics, while civil liberties organisations and supporters say terrorism laws are being used too widely against peaceful protesters.
Kendal teacher previously arrested
Mr Arrowsmith has reportedly been arrested on several occasions for displaying signs supporting Palestine Action.
He said he viewed protesting as a duty and was willing to risk imprisonment to stand up for what he believed was right.
Reports have also stated that he lost his teaching job following his previous arrests.
The Metropolitan Police said it had arrested more than 3,000 people on suspicion of publicly expressing support for Palestine Action since the organisation was banned.
Any decision over whether the three Cumbrian protesters will be charged will be made following further police investigation and consideration by prosecutors.