2 Cumbrian Men Get 8.5 Years Each for Violent Attack

Carlisle magistrates crown Court

Two West Cumbrian Men Jailed for 17 Years After Violent Carlisle Attack

2 West Cumbrian men have been jailed for a total of 17 years. After carrying out a serious attack on a man during a row linked to late-night noise.

Nathaniel Rudd, 37, of Heather Bank, Cleator Moor, and Aaron Hall, 24, of Coronation Drive, Frizington, were sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court.

Both men were handed prison sentences of eight-and-a-half years each after being convicted of grievous bodily harm with intent and threatening to damage or destroy property.

The judge, Michael Fanning, also formally classed both men as dangerous offenders.

The attack happened on July 23, 2024, after a female neighbour complained about noise caused by late-night partying.

Row Over Late-Night Noise

Carlisle Crown Court heard that Rudd and Hall were known for “partying through the night”.

A female neighbour had been kept awake for much of the night before going to work. When she returned home, she saw Rudd in the street and warned him that she would call police if the noise continued.

Later that day, the woman’s ex-partner went to her home. After speaking with her, he went outside to dispose of rubbish and have a cigarette.

It was then that he was attacked by both Rudd and Hall.

Victim Punched to the Ground and Kicked

Prosecutor Kim Whittlestone described the assault as “prolonged and persistent violence”.

The victim was punched to the ground before being kicked to the head and body while he was on the floor.

The court heard that both men made threats to burn down the woman’s house. Rudd made the threat before the violence, while Hall made a similar threat during the attack itself.

Witnesses saw parts of the assault.

The woman said Rudd kicked her ex-partner to the back, while Hall kicked him to the head and shouted “come on old man”.

Another witness described the victim as being unaware of what was happening and bleeding heavily from his head.

Serious Injuries Found After Hospital Visits

The victim remembered little of the attack.

After two initial hospital visits, he was examined again on July 31, 2024. Medical checks found that he had suffered acute fractures to his thoracic spine, three undisplaced rib fractures, significant bruising and swelling.

The injuries had a major impact on his daily life.

In a victim impact statement, he said he had needed injections into his spine, suffered sleep loss and remained in pain. He also spoke of needing surgery and being unable to cook for himself.

He said: “My day-to-day life has completely changed. I am not even a man any more.”

His former partner also described the fear caused by the incident. She said her life was still being affected by what happened.

Both Men Convicted After Trial

Rudd and Hall were convicted after a trial.

They were found guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent and threatening to damage or destroy property.

Both men maintained their innocence despite the jury’s verdict.

The court heard that both were already subject to court orders at the time of the attack. Hall was also sentenced for assaulting five police officers on March 14 this year.

Defence barrister Jacob Dyer, representing Rudd, accepted that jurors had convicted him of “explosive violence”.

Judge Says Pair “Put the Boot In”

Judge Michael Fanning heard mitigation on behalf of both men before passing sentence.

Addressing the pair, he said: “Frankly, the two of you put the boot in.”

The judge concluded that both men were dangerous offenders because of the seriousness of the violence and the risk they posed.

Rudd and Hall were each given immediate prison sentences of eight-and-a-half years.

They must serve two-thirds of their prison terms before they can be considered for release. They will also each be subject to an extended licence period of two years and six months.

Attack Left Lasting Harm

The case highlights the serious consequences of violence linked to neighbourhood disputes.

What began as a complaint about late-night noise led to a man being seriously injured and two men receiving long prison sentences.

The court’s decision reflects the severity of the assault, the injuries caused, the threats made and the lasting impact on the victim and his former partner.

For Rudd and Hall, the attack has resulted in years behind bars and extended supervision after release. For the victim, the physical and emotional impact is expected to continue long after the court case has ended.

Most Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *