Two People Rescued After Being Cut Off by Tide at Foulney Island
Two people were rescued by Barrow RNLI after becoming cut off by the incoming tide at Foulney Island in South Cumbria.
The incident happened on Sunday, May 17th. When the pair became stranded by the spring tide and could not get back to the mainland. HM Coastguard in Holyhead asked Barrow RNLI for help at 12.02pm.
The volunteer crew launched the inshore lifeboat Raymond and Dorothy Billingham at 12.22pm. With Jonny Long at the helm and crew members Nic Johnson and Luke Wilkinson on board.
Lifeboat Reached the Pair Within Minutes
The lifeboat made the short journey across to Foulney Island and reached the two people within minutes.
The pair were described as wet and cold after trying to wade back to shore. They were taken aboard the lifeboat and brought to the car park area of the Foulney Island causeway. From there, they were handed over to the Furness Coastguard team.
Once the two people were safe, the lifeboat returned to the boathouse. It was back at Barrow Lifeboat Station by 12.39pm, where shore crew helped re-house it and prepare it for the next callout.
Spring Tide Made the Causeway Unsafe
Foulney Island is linked to the mainland by a causeway, but it can quickly become dangerous when the tide comes in.
The RNLI said the two people had been cut off by an incoming spring tide. High tide was at 12.27pm, with a predicted height of 9.6 metres. Weather conditions were described as good, but there was a south-westerly Force 5 wind.
Although the pair may have been able to wait on the island for several hours until the tide dropped, the RNLI said calling for help was the right decision because of the cold conditions.
RNLI Says Calling for Help Was the Right Choice
Barrow Lifeboat Press Officer Chris Clouter said the people rescued were not local to the area.
He said they could have waited on Foulney Island until the tide went out and the causeway became accessible again. However, because they were wet and cold, asking for lifeboat assistance was the right course of action.
The incident is a reminder of how quickly tides can change around the Furness coast. Areas that look safe to walk across can become cut off faster than expected, especially during spring tides.
Tide Safety Advice
Anyone planning to walk near tidal causeways, beaches, sandbanks or islands should check tide times before setting off.
It is also important to allow enough time to return safely, as tide tables can vary depending on the exact location and weather conditions. People should avoid trying to wade through fast-moving or rising water, as this can be dangerous even when the shore looks close.
Anyone who sees someone in difficulty at the coast should call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.